Sunday 6 May 2018

Day two - the second chapter of my new short story

Well at least I have decided on what I am writing. In the last post I explained that accidentally I had started to write a story - I have decided and planned for a short story of possibly 2000 words. It will take me a few days, but I have not set myself a schedule, I will be leaving it to happenstance. Unless it drags on too long.

This second part of the story, not sure whether it is a second chapter, or indeed if it might not be all one long chapter. It is a new departure for me and I will sort things out as I progress.

I had written the first part two days ago and yesterday I looked at it again and added more content , in fact adding about 30% more. I am not reposting it yet, it makes no difference to the way things will progress, just setting the scene really.

This section describes the discovery of a strange scene which the  lead character sees in a domestic mirror and the immediate effect upon him.

Mirror, Mirror on the wall ( part 2)


I levelled the mug up to my lips, took a long sniff and then a short sip. Heaven is a powerfully strong fresh, hot coffee in the morning as far as I am concerned. I took another longer sip and began to make my way back up the stairs to my bedroom to make myself ready and acceptable for the day ahead. Casually opening the wardrobe, I had a massive shock, nearly throwing that hot beverage over myself as I stepped back. “What the ….”, there in the mirror on the back of the wardrobe door was a sight I had never seen before. In the mirror or indeed anywhere else for that matter.

It was a reflection of my bedroom but then again, it wasn’t my room. And Damnation, I wasn’t in the picture at all. How could I not be! I was simply not in the reflected image which I could clearly see before me. I backed away; slowly but carefully and reached the edge of my bed where I say in a daze. Not knowing what to do, I quickly downed the rest of the coffee with no regard for my delicate tongue and throat; not that I noticed anyway. The coffee went down without hindrance and I tipped the mug up to drain the last of the liquid, to the best of my ability. I was stumped, The bedroom looked familiar, but I still wasn’t there; and by Lord Harry I should have been. This needed thinking about, carefully. I needed more caffeine and a moment or two, or three before I took any untoward actions. I could just imagine dialing 999 and telling the operator I wasn’t myself - not in the mirror in my bedroom anyway. They would be sending the men in the white coats to get me in double quick time.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, we may not have moved very far forward but we are moving at a pace I can be comfortable with. More of the story as it is completed over the next few days.

1 comment:

  1. Hi John, This is getting interesting. Great scene here and the surprise of not seeing "yourself" in the mirror. I will catch the next portion. Well done.

    ReplyDelete